19 October 2009

Marathon relais des Yvelines

This was a great event from start to finish and I really enjoyed my day.

It started early, too early for a Sunday morning, with Nick picking us all up in his car at 7:45. The temperature was just above freezing at 2.5°C in Le Mesnil but only 0°C when we got to La Queue lez Yvelines for the race. We picked up our numbers and got changed in the gym, watching all the other runners arrive and sussing out the competition. A slim, athletic type was changing into his running kit and we told Nick that he was the guy to wath and he should stck with him over the first leg. The athletic type then pinned on his number on his vest: n° 1. We were spot on in the race strategy !

Nick and I warmed up a little while around the track outside. Actually, that isn't strictly true. Nick and I froze our asses off, running 3 laps of the track is the precise truth. I went back inside, regretting not to have brought my ski cap and gloves along. Nick lined up at 9:30 with 500 other runners and we stood by the road and cheered me on as he set off.

The next stage of the race involved jumping in Nick's car and driving to the relay point 12km down the road. A large convoy of cars from the relay teams (55 teams in all) followed each other to the first handover. The first marathon runner came through in 40 minutes, and it was only just under 4 minutes later that the first runners started appearing. Nick came through in around 49 minutes, having run the hardest section of the whole route. He handed on to Andy who was clearly stressed from the pressure that we'd been putting on him to perform and from the excitement of the race. He set off in seventh position from the relay teams.

Back in the car and this time we drove on to the half way point. The first runner came through in 1:12 and we had to wait a good 6 minutes this time before we saw anyone else. Andy turned up in just under 1:28 and I was pleased as this meant that a 2:55 time was looking very possible. Andy had run a solid leg, clocking between 4:10 and 4:30 per km. He set off fast with the adrenaline pumping, but slowed down to a more reasonable pace. He had overtaken 3 relay teams, but been overtaken by 2 others so he handed the baton (sorry, it was actually a red elastic hairband) to Paul in 6th position in the relay race.

We drove back to the first handover point, where the last handover was to take place. I warmed up a little by myself, watching the race. we wondered where the lead runner had gone to as he seemed rather slow compared to his time so far. It was then we learnt that the lead motorcycle had taken him the wrong route and that he'd been overtaken by the first relay runner when the mistake had been realised. I couldn't imagine how he was feeling - to be taken the wrong way in a marathon must be miserable. He'd lost at least 6 minutes as he was now just trailing the first relay team.

I was taking it easy when Paul appeared out of nowhere. I wasn't expecting him already and he'd run a stormer, gaining 2 places and handing on to me in 4th position. I set off quickly, not really knowing how to run my leg and not really prepared for a race where the other competitors were all so strung out already. I pushed the pace early on from the adrenaline flowing and the sight of a marathon runner ahead. I was gaining on him steadily and I concentrated on pulling him in as fast as possible. First kilometre sounded from the Garmin and I glanced down: 3:34. I didn't think that I'd be able to hold this pace so I slowed up slightly and concentrated on the runners ahead. Having gone past the first marathon runner, I focused on the next groups in turn. They were well spread out, every 200m or so, so there was always somebody to aim for. The second km passed in 3:49, but I was feeling good and the road seemed to head slightly downhill so I stretched out and ran faster.

I passed a good 5 runners before I spotted a runner with his number on his back: a relay runner. If I pass him we'll be in third position and a medal. This thought spurred me on and I was determined that he shouldn't latch on to me as I passed. He was following a marathon runner but running well and steadily, and the thought that he could push the pace was a real possibility. I passed him after 4.5k and put on another spurt and I left them both behind. I was really blasting it now, feeling wonderful and enjoying the slight downhill. I thought about Nick as he had run this leg in the opposite direction and the effort necessary must have been far greater.

3:44, 3:43, 3:41, 3:42 - the kilometres went by quickly and then I came to a steeper downhill section. I let fly down here, catching several runners and then catching sight of another relay runner. This time I was catching him very fast and I knew that he wouldn't be able to catch me once I overtook him at this speed. 3:33 for the kilometre, followed by 3:29. I felt fantastic. I flew past him and concentrated on putting in some serious effort as there was a steep uphill section to manage now. I remebered this section from the marathon last year when I was knackered at this point. I knwe that there was less than 2 km to go before I met the others again and we could all run together over the last 1.5k. I managed the hill section in 3:57, so still over 15km/h.

I was glad to see the others as I ran over the top of the hill and I was hoping that they would be ready to go. I didn't want the team behind to catch us now and kept running at the same pace. Andy, Nick and Paul were thrilled with the position and the thought of a podium, as was I. We ran down the final straight, into the stadium and tried a sprint finish to go under 2:50. No good - 2:50:10. but an excellent result and 2nd team in the race. First veteran team, but unfortunately no category for that.

I managed a 10km stretch in the race in 36:54 from the Garmin which is my fastest time ever over this distance. I'm sure that I'll beat my PB in the next 10k race that I do. Great result, great team , great fun. We'll have to come back next year to defend our position.

No comments: