14 October 2009

Early start

Another early morning run for me at 6:00 am. It's hard to find the motivation when the alarm goes and I get out of bed. I look at Laurence lying there under the covers and she barely realises that I've left an empty space beside her on the mattress, before turning over and falling asleep once more.

I wanted to push it harder today so that I could claim that it was a speed session. I left the house having put my running kit on, including an extra top as it's not so warm in the morning now. I'm barely awake as I start the Garmin and take the first few paces along the road towards Maisons Laffitte. My body reacts slowly from its slumber and my mouth is really dry as it's too early to produce saliva yet ! I slowly emerge from this state after a kilometre or so, having negotiated the worst of the path in the dark. I'm scared out of my skin as I cross a cat that arches its back and hisses at me as I pass, probably as startled as I am to cross a mad jogger well before dawn.

I don't look at the Garmin for the whole run, but I know that I'm running well. My heartrate is higher than usual and I'm slightly short of breath. The initial hurt of the run wears off and I get used to the stride and actually lengthen this as my body begins to relax. I'm into the run now and enjoying the feeling in my legs and the cold air around my face. It's still pitch black and nobody is around apart from the odd car, off on the early morning commute to work. I push the pace up the slope into the park and stride out again. I know the position of the kilometre markers almost off by heart and I listen carefully for the Garmin to beep as I pass each one.

6 km down now and 4 to go. I leave the park and head towards the early morning commuter traffic coming through the town. I tell myself that it's not long now to the end of the run and that I should stretch out again. Down the hill from the church at Le Mesnil and a fast last kilometre.
Stop the watch outside the house and it's back in for a quick shower before heading off to work. Laurence has only just got up and the boys are in bed.

It felt good anyway. 10.1 km in 42:53 or 14.2 km/h (4:13 pace). Last 5 k in 20:41.

No comments: