10 October 2009

Catch up

I woke at 7:45 this morning, ready for my 8:00 am run with Andy and Nick. I'd been really looking forward to this run, not having been able to get out since Tuesday due to the new job and work constraints. As it was early, I wasn't focused on getting ready quickly and I sauntered downstairs before having an orange juice and then heading to the toilet before putting on my trainers.

Oh dear, it was now 7:59 and we were supposed to start at 8:00. Worse was since I've also swapped phones, I hadn't been able to confirm to Nick and Andy that I'd be running with them today. Still, it wasn't too late, surely they'll wait just a few minutes for me in case I show up.

I ran to Nick's house and there was no sign of him. I went up to the house and opened the front door, but it was dark inside and there was no sign of movement. He's left already, and I ran out of the house, closing the door quietly behind me, and ran up to Andy's lane. No sign of anyone here so I picked up the pace and ran along the usual route, hoping to catch up with them.

I was feeling full of energy, having rested for a few days and I was running easily but determined. As I ran down through the forest, I could see the silhouettes of 2 runners about 500m in front of me. I put on another burst of pace and considered shouting out to them but they were still a long way in front and I didn't want to disturb the calm of the forest at such an early time. I chased them down through the forest and over the railway line. We crossed the main road and they were still ahead by about 200m now. I ran harder still and finally caught them after 4 km from home or 3 km after leaving Andy's house. Splits were: 4:33, 4:12, 4:03 and 4:00. So much for an easy run before the race tomorrow !

Having caught them now, I was able to relax and chat as we ran together. The rest of the course was run at a steady pace of around 4:45 per km and we were able to chat about all that had been going on over the week and our plans for the marathon relay next weekend. Andy reckons that we should finish in 2:57 - I'm ready to bet a round of beers that we finish in under 2:55. Are you on for the bet Andy - over 2:55 and the round's on me, under and you're paying.

Finished the course of 15km in 1:11 so not a bad time at an average pace of 4:46. Banking on Andy running faster than this if we're to break the 2:55 barrier !!

Looking forward to tomorrow's race - want to do well in this one. We'll see.

No comments: