26 March 2009

Thursday intervals

Well it wasn't really the plan to do intervals this evening, since the Bible stated that it was a 20 minute warm-up followed by 2x10 minute at marathon pace, it's just that this never really happened.

I got to the club in a rush, having left work late and then driven like a madman to get to the training session on time. I arrived to a large round of applause, but it only took me a nanosecond to realise that I wasn't being encouraged in my tardiness but Thierry was for his marathon performance in Rome. I slipped on my kit and joined the crowds for the evening's session. Big turnout this evening with all the regulars except Régis present: Fabrice, Nick, Mireille, Alex, Philippe et al.

The warm-up went by quickly as I chatted to Jean-Claude (in his early seventies: V4) about his plans for races in the coming months. He's going to up his distances soon and run a few trails of 50 - 60 km before attacking some longer trails of just under 90km in the Summer. His real aim is to do the UTMB, the trail around Mont Blanc: 164km and 9000m of ascent. I hope my goals will be similar when I'm his age. Only one person in their seventies has managed to finish the UTMB, so Jean-Claude is motivated. I told him to keep it up as he regularly brings home the gold medals in his age category for the club. He finished the half-marathon in 1:39 a few weeks ago. Fantastic performance for a seventy year old.

Anyway, having chatted to Jean-Claude and most of the female members of the club who wanted to know about Laurence (getting better, having managed to go for a run this morning), we arrived back at the track for this evening's session. The plan was to do 4x1500m off 400m recovery. I said that I'd take part but at 4:00 per km pace in order not to tire myself out.

The group started fast and I tagged along towards the middle with Mireille. She picked up the speed over the last half and we overtook some other runners as, despite my plans, I hung on to her shoulder and stayed with her to the finish. 5:45 - not exactly the sedate pace I'd have chosen but I was still feeling good.

The second interval started slower. In fact, the group had been planning to run the first at VMA, the next 2 at 10k pace and the last at VMA. I followed Mireille around on the second interval too and then picked up the pace slightly when Miguel told us that we were taking it too easy. Finished spot on my target time of 6:01.

Third and last intervals, I could contain myself no more. I hit the front almost from the start and led the intervals keeping the pace very steady and trying not to lose everyone. Mireille and Fabrice followed me closely with Nick just afterwards, especially into the wind which had begun to pick up down the back straight. I was happy at the front, setting the pace and leading. Definitely my favourite position for these track sessions. Next two intervals were completed in 5:50 and 5:35.

Felt good at the end: not too tired and capable of running a few more. Everything looks promising for next Sunday.

13.75 km all up in 1:17.

No comments: