10 March 2009

Threshold training

Bible said 10 x 800m for tonight in 2:53 off 1min30 recovery. Well actually it said 1hour recovery run but since I can't bear the thought of running track sessions by myself, I swapped the recovery for tomorrow's run.

All of this was to no purpose whatsoever since none of the other runners in the club were interested in 10 x 800 but were proposing 6 x 1000m instead. I thought that this was better for me anyway than a full blown VMA session so I followed the crowd.

We ran a 25 minute, 4.5km warm-up where we discussed the joys of training and the pain of racing with Philippe and Jocelyn. Jocelyn was tellling us that she wanted to improve so that one day, she wouldn't hurt in races. All runners go through pain in racing and we explained that no matter how good you get, the pain is always present. We talked about personal bests and how I'm now running better than when I was 17 or 18 years old. Jocelyn found this hard to believe and thought that all males performed less well after 18 when they were at their peak. I had to prove her the contrary ... !!! Laurence was running just ahead of us with her girlfriends but I could tell instinctively that she was listening in at this point !

We got to the track and started the 6 x 1000m with Régis, Fabrice, Philippe, a new guy Nicolas and myself. We took it in turns to lead and apart from a small pain in the right buttock and a very dodgy left ankle, I was feeling on form. I even felt that the first interval was easy which we completed in 3:50.

Intervals went as follows: 3:50, 3:51, 3:48, 3:52, 3:49, 3:39

Last one was a blast with the 10 second gap in times being made up over the last 400m when Fabrice and I stretched out racing each other to the line. Nice to be in a group of runners with all the same ability on this session. Good chatting with all of them.

Great session made me feel good to be back at the club and running well again. Some stretches tonight to ease the ankle and buttock.
Couple of photos of us at Rambouillet this weekend.

No comments: