6 February 2009

Lunchtime run/swim

I went out with François-Xavier for a lunchtime run. The instructions were very simple: 45 minutes not too fast, aiming for an average speed of around 13km/h.

We set off from the swimming pool in Osny and the sun had come out for a change. I had been expecting the worst and was wrapped up with 3 layers on top plus my fleece hat. Obviously as soon as we started running, I realised that I had gone over the top and that half of the layers I was wearing were unnecessary. The hat came off and went in the pocket but the 3 layers on top stayed on, meaning that I lost a couple of kilos in weight in sweat during the session.

We set off to Grouchy Castle and ran around the grounds 3 times. Despite the easy pace that we had set ourselves as a target, the going felt tough and my legs were still heavy from the previous night's training. We ran fairly steadily with the only variations in pace coming from the steep hill at the far end of the grounds that has to be climbed steadily.

We managed the course and I was thinking about the marathon and the pace that will be necessary for the 42 km. This began to daunt me. 9.3 km all up in 42:34 so an average of 4:36 per km. The pace was spot on target but the legs were feeling it today.

No comments: