24 February 2009

Injured and depressed

Well it was worth a try. I thought that I'd have recovered sufficiently by this evening to give the workout an attempt. It wasn't the case and I am now thoroughly depressed by the whole affair.

Everybody asked how I was when I arrived this evening, although when I started telling everyone that I was injured most had already turned off listening already. Runners only want to hear about your performances, not when you're injured despite the fact that this monopolises most of the conversations. The twinge in the knee, the tight achilles, the sore calf, the pain in the thigh: these are all the subject of many conversations in the dressing room and even out training, but runners only talk about their own injuries and don't really listen when it has occured to others. It's a little of the "not made here" syndrome, only that they're happy that they're not affected and that they can carry on training, striving to achieve their own individual objectives.
"Aah, shame. Still a few days rest and you'll be as right as rain"

As you can tell from the above, I didn't feel at all like that tonight. Not feeling right when you run is a burden on the mind as much as on the body. So many questions such as how long will it last, when will I get back to full training, what if it comes back, plague the brain, popping up every painful step you take.

I did the warm-up but could feel the tension in my right buttock and at the top of my inner thigh. As a result, I wasn't running easily, especially at a slow speed and this was beginning to cause pains elsewhere such as in my foot and thigh. By the time that I got to the track, I knew that it wasn't working and that a VMA workout was out of the question. I tried running the first 400m anyway just to see. I struggled at the back, breathing easily enough but knowing that the leg wasn't working properly and that I was just taking more strain. I pulled out on the second interval and let the others continue, watching the remainder of the session from the side of the track, very dejected.

I'll try and organise a session with an osteopath and a physio to resolve the problem quickly so that I can resume the marathon training. Rambouillet semi is in less than 2 weeks and I would like to run that. Wait and see.

1 comment:

Andy said...

James, you need a hot bath followed by full body massage from Lorenza. Get with it. Osteos, rest, stretching are nice complements, but the former is paramount.