19 February 2009

Injury

Today was a recovery run and I was supposed to take it easy for an hour.

To celebrate this fact, I chose my favourite route around St Simon which is about 9km and I thought that I would extend this by running through the centre of Aurillac and doing a loop the other side before heading back.

I had a slight niggle in the small of my back, above my right buttock before going out. I started running and I expected this to disappear as I warmed up and sure enough, this is exactly what happened. The first 2.5 km are mostly uphill and so I took these easily. On reaching the main road, heading back towards Aurillac on the far side of St Simon, I strecthed out and just enjoyed the pace and the positive feelings from that high you can sometimes get when the scenery is fabulous, the running's going well and everything smiles at you. The pace quickened to 4:20, 4:16 then 4:10. I still felt very easy and despite running at marathon pace, this didn't feel as though it was any great effort.

Disaster struck as I ran through Aurillac. The little niggle that had worn off initially now returned with far greater force. In fact, so painful that it almost forced me to stop. I slowed down, concentrating now on just finishing the run and getting home.

13.8 km all up in 1:02 so a good run.

The pain didn't disappear and persisted throughout the afternoon. After a night's sleep, it would appear to have abated slightly so I'll skip the run today and do the session tomorrow instead. This is the message that I can't push the pace and the mileage eternally.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Need to stretch your hip flexors -sounds very similar to an injury I used to get. Very common overuse injury. Try this.. http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/leg-stretch/hip-flexor-stretch.asp
I vary this by raising the foot of my rear leg by resting it on a chair seat.

James said...

Thanks for the help Tom. It's already satisfying to be able to pinpoint the problem and to try and work on a solution.
I did the exercises and it helped slightly. I took a Doliprane and this helped too.
Laurence gave me a couple of exercises to do too and these helped immensely. I'll try and keep up the training with these exercises and hope that it gradually wears off.