4 July 2008

Run and swim

Kill or cure - I felt really bad today: churned up stomach, lethargical, and just generally down. To cheer myself up, I decided to maintain the same Friday run and swim session as last week.

François-Xavier was having none of it though. Having run 63 km last Saturday, he decided that he needed a rest (I mean what a wimp - but then again, he is French!) so I went out by myself. It was a lovely sunny day but the temperature was still reasonable at around 22°C. I set off slowly through Osny and then into the castle grounds, doing 3 laps and building speed gradually over the course of each lap. I felt better over the end part of the course compared to last Friday and stopped the watch at the end in 46:59, an 18 second improvement.

A quick change at the pool and then 10 lengths of breaststroke, mainly just to cool down after the run. The swimming pool roof was open and the sun was shining through and this is the best way to relax after a training run. The pool was a lot cooler both today and yesterday in comparison to normal. In fact so cool, that as I dived in the breath was literally sucked out from my lungs and I spent the first length just trying to breath normally. Not quite thermic shock stuff like diving off a block of ice in a lake 1800m up in the mountains, but not bad nevertheless.

Oh yes, I timed myself over 1000m yesterday in the pool : 22:22. A real disappointment as I thought I was swimming at around 20 minutes per kilometre. James, you'd have beaten me by over 5 minutes if you're reading ! More training needed.

No comments: