29 July 2008

Rest day

No running yesterday after the race on Sunday. Cycling with Laurence instead.

We signed up for some road cycling at the centre yesterday. This was the first time that I'd been on a road bike for some years so it was with pleasure that we were given some good lightweight bikes (Vitus Stalion I believe) for a morning ride with Claude and Vincent, our guide.

It was a beautiful, sunny day as we set off past Megevette and up to the Col de Jambaz. It felt really good to be on the bike again but most peculiar to get out of the saddle and to push up the hills, having been used to a mountain bike. The old sensations returned quickly and I was soon finding a comfortable rhythm with the pedals and following Claude up the climb. At the top we turned left and climbed up to the next col at Les Mouilles to a height of 1100m, some 300m higher than the start. A long descent into Lullin followed and then a climb back up past Bellevaux and back up to the Col de Jambaz. Claude and Vincent left me behind on the long climb but I kept a steady pace and enjoyed myself, taking time to enjoy the scenery.

A rapid descent back to Onnion to finish the 35 km in 1:42:00 for an average of 20.5 km/h including 600m of ascent. Both Laurence and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Bikes were extremely comfortable to ride and felt great quality.

No comments: