21 June 2008

Stress

Laurence has a theory.

The theory goes that the day before any race I get so worked up that I become unbearable. For most people, I'm probably unbearable anyway. But apparently, it's even worse the day preceding any big race (or even a small race, or any race at all for that matter).

Today's lunchtime discussion was about money management. Now, due to my position I believe that I'm actually very good when it comes to handling money matters. Since this view was not shared by my wife and this fact irritated me slightly (actually intensely, but let's not argue the point), my bad mood was put down to the fact that I was under stress, worrying about my performance in tomorrow's race - QED: the theory holds.

Why argue with women - women always win!

2 comments:

anne said...

Hi James,

I'm not going to comment on your last sentence...

I just want to tell you my theory : "pre-race" stress can actually be quite helpful if you keep it in and release it during your race, it helps you to increase your stamina.

Nick and I had a "post-race crisis" today, and I must admit I would have preferred a pre-race one...But you can't always choose!!

James said...

Pre-race stress is normal and the burst of adrenaline is great for improving performance and pushing me to achieve better times than I could ever imagine during normal training.
The point that I'm trying to make is that this wasn't the case but since I didn't agree with my wife, she was convinced that it was!
Arguing the point with her wouldn't have made any difference either. It would only have reinforced her original opinion.