22 June 2008

Foulées Suresnoises

Well, it just wasn't to be.

I had been hoping to beat my P.B. again during today's race. I knew that I had to be more consistent in my pace, so slower over the start and then maintain the pace over the distance. 3min45 per km was the pace. 4 km in 15 minutes, 8 km in 30 minutes and a finish time of 37:30 were the goals.

So what happened ? We met up with Anne and Nick, Paul and Brigitte at the start. Nick was aiming for sub-39 min, Paul sub-40 min. The weather when we left home was damp and overcast yet warm at around 22°C. By the time we lined up for the start, it was sunny, dry and closer to 25°C. As I stood there waiting for the gun, I wasn't as tense as usual. This may have been due to the overall tiredness and lack of sleep but I felt relaxed.

The 10km comprises 3 loops of a course heading East parallel to the Seine to start with for 1km and then dropping down towards the Seine and running back West parallel to the Seine for another kilometre dropping alongside the Seine for about 200m before heading up a hill into the centre and completing the loop by heading back East again.

The gun went. I set off steadily weaving through the slower runners who had set off too close to the start line compared to their ability. 1 km in 3:44 and I was still relaxed and happy to be so close to the schedule I'd set. 2 km in 7:22 and still spot on target. The hill appeared then and was slightly steeper than I expected, especially over the first 100m. There's then a slight drop down and a further rise to the top. I finished this section well, going past a number of runners before completing the loop and setting off on the second lap. 3 km in 11:18 so 3 seconds behind target but I put this down to the running up the hill and picked up my pace again slightly to recover this. 4 km in 15:08 so I hadn't managed to pull back the time but I was concentrating on maintaining my pace and on not letting the runners around me pull away. I didn't manage to take the time at 5 km but I was still just behind schedule. The heat and the sunshine were getting to me now and I was taking water to cool me down at every feeding station. In fact, all my times from here on in became hazy. I was slowing, over-heating, tiring both mentally and physically. The hill the second time around was harder but I pushed on again after and encouraged myself with the thought that there was only one lap to go.
The last lap was a haze. I was overtaken by a female runner at around 8 km but I had neither energy nor the motivation necessary to stay with her. A final effort to get up the hill and I finished in 39:25. This was a big disappointment as it's my worst time over the distance since January.
The others were probably disappointed too: Nick 41:23; Paul 43:18; Anne 49:56; Brigitte 50:23 and Laurence 51:04.
Excuses: 5 hours sleep before a race is not enough; 25°C and sunshine is too hot for me; hills tire !!
Next race is in 2 weeks time at Vincennes - flat too. I'll do better next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jamie - sorry to hear the run didn't go as well. What was the humidity like? I find the humidiy is more detrimental to performance than the heat.
Don't forget to add photos of the family.
Tom

Nick Wiechers said...

It was the heat/humidity that did for me. I was on target at 4km but suffered badly there after, especially when over taken by the 40 min pace maker, which doesn't do much for your confidence.

I was 1.5 kg less after the race than before despite drinking a litre of water at the finish line. I have rectified the situation since with Burgandy's finest and some Cote de Provence rosé.