26 June 2008

A little further

If I'm going to improve over 10 km in the next few months, I need to up my training distances.

Simple, obvious fact, but unfortunately running isn't the only thing in my life and my training has to fit into the rest of my schedule which includes work and spending some time with the family. Today, I modified my usual town route to extend the training schedule and to run 10 km regularly in the mornings mid-week.
As you can see from the google map (and was blatantly obvious when I ran the course in 36:30 this morning), I haven't quite managed to reach the 10 km intended. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2023182 . So a new route that only manages 8.8 km - I'll modify this again and go further into the park in Maisons Laffitte in order to achieve the distance.
Run this morning went relatively well otherwise. It was a cool morning, slightly overcast and no wind. I set off fast, completing the first 2 km in 8:11 which is quick against my usual starts for this course. I slowed after though completing 4 km in 16:33 and then 6 km in 24:57. The new extended finish meant that I had a nice long downhill stretch but then I had to run uphill at the end to finish in 36:30. So 4:09 per km for my goal of training over 10 km at 15 km/h - not bad but still some way to go.

No comments: