27 June 2008

Grouchy running

Grouchy - perversely irritable: synonym for crabby, cross, grumpy, bad or ill-tempered.

Well this was the site of the lunchtime run today with François-Xavier. We got changed at the swimming pool at Osny and then ran to Grouchy Castle before doing 3 laps of the grounds and then heading back in a convoluted way to the pool. The route can be seen here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2026316 .

François-Xavier had his Garmin 305 on, which he dutifully programmed before we set off so that we could run constantly at 13 km/h for 50 minutes. Marvellous, the wonders of modern technology. We set off and I was happy to follow F-X, having neither run around Osny before and having forgotten to pack my own watch. It was rather a warm day (about 24°C) and after a little while, I began to sweat heavily. This is par for the course so I knew that I'd already run over 2km. "How far ?", I asked F-X. "2.5 km" was the reply. "What speed ?", I enquired as already I felt that we were a little fast. "13.5km/h" was the reply. So much for technology as F-X had decided to ignore his virtual trainer and to test my pace and endurance !

However, the grounds of the castle are lovely as can be seen in the photo below:

It was really pleasant to run with someone and to be able to talk as we did so. When we came out of the grounds, I asked F-X if we could extend the run slightly by taking a longer way back to the pool. He gracefully obliged and halfway along this long stretch of road informed me that he was beginning to feel good now. I was beginning to feel shattered so this last piece of news was really depressing. Putting a brave face on, I tucked in behind him and let him set the pace. We turned the bend and headed back and were now running above 14km/h (so much for the Garmin 305!). A last pull up the hill to the pool and finished the 10.7km in 47:17.

A quick change then 12 lengths of the pool to cool down before heading off to the canteen for lunch. Great lunch-break - must do this more often. The run definitely did not live up to its name.

No comments: