5 April 2011

Club session

Made it to the club session after all. Since I'd done a session this morning, I decided not to push it and to just do a recovery run with the guys who'd raced the 10k at Aubergenville on Sunday. Nico, Romain, Jean-Marc and Simon were all part of this group while Bruno, Philippe, Nat and Thierry headed back to the track for some marathon training.

Miguel was taking the session and since the guys had run well it promised to be a relaxing session. We headed out to the St Germain terrasse before heading down to Le Mesnil along the road. There was plenty of complaining going on athis point as several runners (me included) wanted to head into the forest to make the most of the lovely weather this evening. We ran into Le Mesnil and then turned towards Le Pecq along the road. As we headed back beneath the terrasse in the direction of Le Pecq, we picked up the pace and were soon running at 4:15 pace.

This speed didn't last long as we headed up some steep steps back up to the terrasse and then back down some steep steps when we couldn't run any further in the St Germain direction. Another couple hundred metres later and we ran back up the steps into St Germain itself. There was a race up the steps but despite my initial enthusiasm, reality soon hit me and the others left me easily up the steps.

I was tired now with the combied effects of this morning and the hill-climbing but the pace picked up from here. Miguel did his trainer act of who has the biggest "cojones" and the pace picked up further and soon the front runners were running at 3:25 pace and I just had to let them go. I managed 2 kms in 4:10 then 4:05 before the front group split up and I caught some of them at the end. Miguel did his 'I need to stop for a pee' trick when the going got tough which is just as well as he's got the pace but not the endurance at the moment.

11.5 km all up in 1:02. So much for an easy recovery run. Will do that tomorrow now!

St Germain terrasse from Le Mesnil end looking towards Le Pecq

No comments: