11 April 2011

Recovery run and tapering

Last week before London and I'm supposed to be winding down. The marathon training programme instructed me to run for an hour at 70% max HR so I went out with the sole objective of taking it easy.

Good job I had planned to take it easy as anything else would have been nigh on impossible this morning. My legs were very tired and a slight lack of sleep didn't help. I'm not sure whether the tiredness was due to the weekend runs or the tiling I started yesterday for the small patio and the path and steps in front of the house. The kneeling down to place the tiles seemed to have worn my legs out almost as much as the 2 runs.

I set out around my usual route and added in an extra loop in the park. My initial speed was 4:54 per km and I built up gradually before finishing at 4:17 pace. The recovery run worked well with the initial tiredness wearing off by the end of the run.

12.3km all up in 57:55 or an average of 4:42 per km.

No comments: