7 June 2009

Orgerus

Nick and I had decided that we would run Orgerus this weekend, after Nick's disappointment with La Pastourelle and my objective to beat the hour over a 15 km course.

My training during the week had left me feeling that I was capable of beating my goal over the course despite my quick research on the web with runners saying that the course was not the flattest in the area. We arrived in this little village in the south of the Yvelines well in advance of the start and we picked up our numbers and had a quick warm-up around some of the little roads in the area.

The weather was perfect, with the temperature around 13°C and some sunshine in between the high clouds. We lined up for the start facing down the slight hill that we would set off down for the first kilometre. I told myself that I had to control my start in order to run as consistently as possible over the course. The whistle went and we were off down the hill. It was a dense pack and I had to be careful to avoid other runners feet over the first 500 metres. This then thinned out and I found myself in the first 40 runners. I could see Miguel, Thierry and Jean-Marc ahead at this point and then we turned right and started running uphill. I passed a group of around 10 runners at this point as I felt strong on the hill (probably improving from La Pastourelle) and then reached a no-mans land point where I was on my own. This didn't last long as I was joined by another runner at this point and we set a steady pace together.

The first 5 kilometres went by easily enough in 3:44, 3:57, 3:57, 3:57, 3:58. This was despite the rises in the terrain. My partner would push the downhills and leave me slightly and I would push the uphills, giving him some food for thought.

At 6 km we passed another lone runner who he obviously knew from Issou and he made some remark about too many races to him. I still felt good but I could feel my legs now and was starting to tire a little. The undulating countryside, although very pretty, was tough going and I knew that last weekend's efforts were having an impact.

We stayed together, just the two of us, maintaining the rhythm: 3:45, 4:01, 4:02, 3:54, 4:06.

We went through the 10km marker in 39:43 and I knew that I didn't have much room for manoeuvre in slowing the pace. My only consolation was that I had looked at the map of the course with Nick prior to starting and knew that the last few kilometres were mostly downhill.

I began to tire considerably now and mentally I was strained. As if he could hear my thoughts, my partner took off at 12km, leaving more more vulnerable than ever. I could see him catch one, then two runners ahead of us, while hearing others catch me up behind. I had nothing left to give and was just counting down the minutes to the arrival. 2 km - 8 minutes to go; 6 minutes to go - OK it's just like an interval session, 1km - 4 minutes to go.

I hit the outskirts of the village and gave it my last. The end was in sight and my objective too. I pushed on and managed a semi sprint finish (19.2 km/h according to the Garmin) to end the agony in 59:45. Too tired to celebrate, I just collapsed in a corner, recovering with my head in my hands.

Nick finished a couple of minutes later in 1:02:30, pleased with his time too. Really pleased now that I've done it, but it was a real effort and bloody hard work.

Finished in 27th place and 11th veteran. Will post a link to the results when they're out.

1 comment:

Gérald said...

Le coureur qui t'a accompagné jusqu'au 12km, c'etait moi James.Amusant à lire après coup. Mon temps ce jour là 59'04 est toujours mon record personnel officiel sur 15 km. Je vais tenter de l'envoyer aux oubliettes demain à Voisins le Bretonneux :)