9 December 2008

St Germain Triathlon

Since both Laurence and I were in England this weekend, we missed our chance to take part in the annual St Germain triathlon organised during the telethon weekend.

Too bad, as there are 2 events per year organised by the swimming pool at St Germain, the first a relatively modest affair with about 150 participants that takes place in sunny September, when the tracks are dry, the crowds thin and the competition modest. The other takes place in cold December, in the dark, in the cold, in the mud, with almost 350 participants, and the competition is fierce. Wonder why we went away this weekend, missing out on the fun ... ?

Nick and Andy however were involved and Nick has written his view of the event, so let me hand over to him to explain in more detail how it went ...

"Only 10 Mesnilois this year which was a bit disappointing but good to see a few of the usual suspects with Andy, Didier K and Ralph all there.

A good start from Didier L who dropped half the team in the first 5 minutes but unfortunately for him the ride to the swimming pool doesn’t count in the final time. After a quick check that the swimming pool had water in it this year, we engaged in the traditional pre competition routine of comparing how much training hadn’t been done and swapping anecdotes about anti cramp remedies. As we were in the third and final departure, we watched the 2nd wave before us complete their stage in the pool and took great heart to see how many of them were doing breast stroke.

When our turn came, it was the usual all in American wrestling for the first 50 meters before some sort of natural order took place. My tactic this year was to take it easy in the pool which resulted in me exiting behind Andy and Ralph, as usual, and with a time of close to 11 minutes as usual!!

After a rapid change into my cycling gear, I stormed out of the changing rooms up the stairs to arrive back at the pool. After descending and going up the correct staircase somewhat less enthusiastically, I reached my bike at the same time as Fabien from the FSGL and gently made my way to the entrance of the forest. Here, there is perhaps the longest, flattest and fastest part of the course so it was into a high gear and time to ramp up the speed followed by a rapid deceleration after the first mouthful and eyeful of mud.

The marshal on the first corner warned us to take it easy as it was very slippy, something confirmed by the site of an ambulance crew attending to a fallen rider. I had a quick glance to check it wasn’t Andy. It wasn’t so I’d have to pedal faster if I wanted to beat him this year. The pace of the first couple of laps were governed very much by the traffic on the course but things got better as the stragglers from the first two waves finally started to finish.

As I completed the cycling stage I saw Andy beginning the run and I shouted out words of friendly encouragement. Note that this could also be interpreted as trying to intimidate him by letting him know I wasn’t far behind, but I wouldn’t do that. Probably.

As I began my own run, competitors from the first wave were cleaning their bikes, making the tiles outside the pool resemble a skating rink. Thanks lads. I got into a good pace fairly quickly going past a lot of people, probably from the 2nd wave. I knew I would need to see Andy at the top of the steep hill at the half way point if I wanted to catch him up but as there was no sign of him, I kept up a steady but non suicidal pace to finish in 1.26.12. Andy had finished about a minute and a half earlier. Next in was Fabien, then Ralph followed by the two Didier’s, Philippe and Henri with Martial and Axel rounding things off. Despite a difficult course, I’d improved my time nearly three minutes on last year and Andy by nearly 7 minutes. All in all a good way to spend a Saturday morning. I’ll be back. "

So there's the proof, if ever that was needed, that Nick is as masochistic as they come. He'll need some more swimming lessons and cycling practice if he's to catch Andy, now that Andy has started running seriously. Still, revenge could be on the cards very shortly if we can persuade Andy to take part in the 6km race at Issy this weekend. Busy Sunday Andy ?

No comments: