20 December 2008

Long Saturday

I think it was all due to the sight of my weight gradually increasing every time that I stood on the scales that finally decided me to go out for a long run this weekend. My weight has increased from below 75kg to just above 77kg recently and something had to be done. The lack of swimming due to an increased workload hasn't helped either. I called Nick and asked him if he was interested in a long run and since he seems to have gone down with the same symptoms; a long run it was.

We set off slowly through the forest on the usual Sunday training route. It was pretty muddy underfoot and it was difficult to run comfortably along the horse tracks. I was further weighed down with the camelbak, carrying over a litre of water, some gel and some emergency biscuits. Nick had a water bottle on him too, but had nothing on the energy front. The initial pace was just below 12 km/h, as I'd promised that we were going for a long run and that the apce didn't matter. As we finished the first circuit though and started heading off on the second bigger loop, we'd increased our speed to 12.5 km/h, running each kilometre in just under 4:50.

Neither of us had run over 20km in several weeks, so being a little cautious, I called a quick break at 15km where we shared a gel and took some liquid on board. Off again towards St Germain Castle now and the pace increased suddenly to 4:31 for a km as the gel began to take effect.


Past St Germain castle and the Place Royale and a long run downhill towards the Seine where we crossed the bridge to Le Pecq and Montesson. This was a welcome relief as we coasted down the hill, looking at some other runners as they struggled in the opposite direction. We went through the half-marathon mark and Nick announced that it was his 4th fastest semi ever in 1:42. We were both tiring by now and so we stopped for the emergency rations and wolfed down the biscuits from the rucksack. Back along the Seine to Sartrouville and Maisons Laffitte before running back along the river to home.

Good run of 29.3 km in 2:22 so an average speed of 12.3 km/h or 4:52 per km. Most importantly 2139 calories eliminated. Christmas dinner is feasible now !

2 comments:

Nick Wiechers said...

Arggghhhhhhh. Do we do this for fun. Any weight lost has been regained by the large amounts of chocolate I needed to ingest to recover. I have two sore points at the base of my back where the water belt rubbed. I now have to wear my trousers like all those cool kids with my belt half way down my ar$e. This of course makes me look like a total pl0nker.

James said...

I though you always wore your trousers like that just to show the kids how cool you are Nick.

My back was sore the next day from the rucksack. I was walking around stooped over like an old man.

Felt good mentally for having done it though. Will redo first weekend in New Year.