3 November 2008

Sunday classic

Just the usual Sunday run through the forest with the gang before heading back to the house to celebrate Henry's birthday today.

Since it was the holidays, the turnout was a little smaller than usual with only Ralf, Louise, Philippe Gendre and Laurence along for the ride. Ralf had to run the long loop since nobody was prepared to do the short-cut with him today as Pierre-Henri was away ! He suffered as a consequence and wasn't comfortable running with Philippe and me despite us slowing a little. I don't often run with Philippe but he has a lot of potential and with some more training could be a far better runner than me. Anyway, we enjoyed the normal Sunday loop getting to the barrier in 23:12 before running back to pick up Louise and Laurence.

We took the second half of the course easily bumping into Paul part way through, out training for one of his last runs before the Nice - Cannes Marathon next Sunday. Best of luck to him as he tries to beat 3:30 over the course. Speaking to him afterwards, I am convinced that he will do it, bar an incredible upset on the day, as he went under 1:30 for the half-marathon a few weeks ago. I was told a nice rule the other day to work out potential times: every distance that you double, take off 1 km/h. For Paul, this works out at a 3:15 marathon which seems feasible. McMillan says 3:09:54 which seems a little optimistic. Best of luck anyway Paul.

I enjoyed the end of the run particularly as Philippe ran ahead up the last slope and pushed the pace. I think that he thought he would show me as I had said I was still recovering from the marathon. I wouldn't let him go though and caught him up and then pushed hard until the finish, catching Ralf in the process. Philippe finished a good 90 seconds after me ;o)

I can't let that competitive instinct go, even in training !

No comments: