30 November 2008

Showdown !

Today was the big one - no that's not true as I'd been telling myself recently that the real big one, the race where I want to do really well is next Sunday on the Hexham Hobble. This was just supposed to be a warm-up.

That was the plan anyway. The plan, however, was well and truly scuppered when I learnt from F-X on Wednesday that he was entered too. Since our challenge series stands at 2-2 at the moment, this race was vital in showing the other who was on form. Laurence had entered both of us for the 13.5 km course at Andrésy, renowned for the "big hill". The distance was fine, it was just the idea that I'd have to go fast over the course to keep up with F-X that was depressing me, especially when I'd been treating it as a last major training session before next week's race.

Nick picked us both up first thing and Andy had decided he was going to take part too, so all 4 of us arrived in Andrésy about 50 minutes before the race began. The weather was fairly lousy: 3°C, a fine drizzle and no sign of a let-up in sight. we picked up our numbers, found a place in the gym to leave our stuff, then set out to brave the elements 15 minutes before the start.

We made our way to the start line and I searched for F-X amongst the faces. I spotted him right at the front of the crowd on the start line so I pushed in alongside him for a quick chat before the start. He asked what my objective was so I told him: to beat you ! No point beating about the bush. The race tactics were to follow him all the way around the course and then to outsprint him over the last 500m.

The gun went and F-X set off like a bullet. I tagged along on his shoulder and wondered if the pace was going to ease. I didn't look at my watch as I told myself I didn't care: the sole objective was to beat the man in front of me. The course comprised a first small loop of just under 6km, followed by a longer loop of 7.5 km which included the infamous hill. We were in the first 15 runners in the race and the pace over the first loop was sustained and I didn't feel as though I could go any faster. I began to wonder how long I could keep this up, especially when there were times when F-X would up the pace slightly and I would just try and tag on. We went through 7 km and to my surprise F-X turned and said to me to carry on as he couldn't keep up any more. As he eased off, I pushed a little at this point and tried to catch the runner immediately ahead of me. In fact, I wasn't to see F-X for the rest of the race despite my fears that he would recover and start chasing me down in the final kilometres.

We attacked the hill just after 8 km and my pace slowed, luckily it wasn't as steep as I'd imagined and it didn't seem to be too hard an obstacle. We turned right and downhill over 150m and then took a sharp left-hand bend. Oh my god! That's the hill - I was taken by surprise to see this 15% slope rising before me for 300m. I shortened my stride, put my head down and just forced myself to keep running. My heart rate must have maxed at this point and the effort was tremendous. Once at the top, it was just a question of holding on and counting down the kilometres to the finish line.

I kept it steady, tried to catch up a few places and finshed the 13.5 km in 21st position in a time of 52:42. An average speed of 15.37 km/h or 3:55 per km. I was pleased considering the hill to have managed this speed over the course. F-X finished 4 places behind me in 53:54. 3-2 in the challenge to me: I'm on a roll!

Splits were the following (thanks Tom for the tip):

3:34, 3:45, 3:54, 3:50, 3:53, 3:53, 3:56, 3:59, 4:43, 3:58, 3:50, 3:44, 3:53, 1:43

Guess where the hill was ?

Other results: Nick finished 64 in 56:59; Andy 150 in 1:02:41; Laurence 259 in 1:08:08.

Laurence ran a great run despite her Garmin letting her down after 6km and then concentrated on picking off runners ahead of her. She managed a great sprint finish to beat another female runner on the line.

Official times here: http://www.topchrono.biz/course.php?idc=3585&cr=13km500&an=2008&cr_nom=20%20Bornes%20d'Andresy

Looking forward to next Sunday's race now against the lads.

3 comments:

df said...

You won and I have absolutely no excuse. It will be hard and tough training for me to beat you next time ! Congratulations James, you are simply the best ... for the moment. FXT

James said...

No give me a break. Too much praise and I'll get big-headed ! I was suffering trying to keep up with your pace but it was the determination that paid out in the end. Part of the race is believing in your ability over the distance - I think that you weren't prepared yesterday to carry on the fight to the end. Good race anyway - I was chuffed to bits!

Unknown said...

Well done James! Turquey gave you wings :-)
-Djap-