8 November 2008

Lunchtime workout

It's been a quiet week on the running front and a very busy week on the work front hence the lack of messages on the blog this week.

On Tuesday, I knew that I wouldn't be able to get out to the Tuesday night session with the club so I asked F-X if he wanted to go for a lunchtime run around the Grouchy castle grounds. Luckily, he had his kit with him so we set off for a run from the swimming pool with the idea of doing a 10km run.

I told him that I was still recovering from the marathon so we weren't to run too fast and we then promptly set off down the hill at warp 9. I wasn't too aware of the pace until we passed in front of Grouchy castle and F-X asked if we shouldn't slow down a little. I looked at the Garmin to see 1.94 km in 7:45 or something close. We were averaging around 15 km/h when we were supposed to be taking it easy. We eased off a little from then on but the pace was still brisk. The day was ideal for a run: gloriously sunny, just warm and bright blue skies lighting up the Autumn leaves on the trees in the castle grounds.

On the third lap, F-X had to stop or slow down for a breather and he told me to continue and that he'd catch me up. I carried on back to the swimming pool and stopped the watch: 9.4 km in 38:51 so an average of 4:08 per km or 14.5 km/h. Not really the relaxing training I was expecting but I was really pleased to find that I was happy training at this speed.

Shame I couldn't enjoy a power-nap to recover in the office that afternoon !

No comments: