3 July 2011

Tuesday club session

I managed to get to the club session on Tuesday night in the nick of time after wondering whether I'd be able to get out of Paris in a reasonable time. Luckily the traffic wasn't too dense and a blast down the A14 westwards out of Paris ensured that I made it with 3 minutes to spare. I got changed and listened to the pre-session team talk where Miguel explained that the summer was here and that an easy session followed by some stretching would do us all some good.

I warmed up with Nico and Gérald. Warming up being the generic term since the weather was still as hot as last Sunday and the temperature was still hovering around 30°C. Nico was all for following Miguel and taking it easy. Gérald was undecided and I wanted to take it easy without doing the stretching and sit-ups. At this point, I was still wondering what to do when I latched on to a small group with José, Simon and Laurent and ended up running their session with them. This involved an 8' interval followed by a 6' interval and then a 4' interval off 2'30" recovery. It wasn't exactly what I'd been planning to do but what the heck.

I let José go off at his pace on the first interval and ran with Simon and Laurent before upping the pace and trying to close José down. I was surprised to see a kilometre flash up in 3:44 on the Garmin and afterwards I saw that I pretty much maintained this pace over all of the intervals, slowing only slightly on the uphill sections around the salamander loop in the forest. Simon stayed with me for the first interval before droppping back in the second and third where I ran on my own keeping José within my vision.

A jog back to the club where I watched Gérald, Laurence and Nico stretching and taking it easy.

10.7 km all up in 1:00.

No comments: