25 July 2011

Pointe de Méribel
























The above photo shows La Pointe de Méribel, the highest point above the plateau at Plaine Joux. This summit is 1581 metres high and, despite its relatively low height, gives an amazing view of the surrounding countryside from Lake Geneva to Mont Blanc. This was also the destination of the challenge between Bertrand and myself in our ambition to set the target for the fastest climb from Onnion to the top, 800 metres above the start.

The challenge involves running up a first section of road and then onto the path up to Plaine Joux at Rocher Blanc before heading up to Pointe de Méribel from the plateau. The old quarry at Rocher Blanc is the half-way point both in terms of difficulty and height gained but there is still more distance to be covered in crossing the plateau and the final climb to the summit. I wondered how to approach the final section with a choice of using the tracks around the east side of the plateau or carrying straight on up the road. I finally settled on the road which although it added almost an extra kilometre of distance, it provided stable footing and more regular inclines.

Bertrand and I met at 7:15am for the start of the challenge and we'd arranged to be picked up by Laurence at 8:15am at Ajon, the last hamlet below the summit, so we could get a lift back down in time for breakfast. My strategy was clear: I'd follow Bertrand up the road and path until the Rocher Blanc and then accelerate on the road section and leave him behind here to win the race to the top! We set off from the centre and as happens too often, I forgot all about my pre-race strategy and pushed a steady pace up the road with Bertrand following just behind. When we left the road and joined the steep path that cuts up the montainside, I was already too tired to run and had to walk. Bertrand had fallen behind on the road section but he caught me again now as I put my hands on my thighs and tried to push my legs to move faster as I climbed the slope.

Bertrand didn't overtake me as I feared and I saw him slip further and further behind as I ran where I was able and walked as quickly as possible when the slope became too steep. This section up to Rocher Blanc is only 3 km in distance but with almost 430 metres in height difference, the average slope is just over 15 %. I think that I ran all of the sections where the slope was less than 20% and walked the rest. I arrived at Rocher Blanc after 27 minutes and then carried along the road.

I could see Pointe de Méribel ahead of me now and I wondered if the road option was the best solution, rather than taking a short cut across the fields. There was no sign of Bertrand now, so I stuck to the road as originally planned and tried to pick up the pace along the flatter section here. As I came to the end of the flat section, the road turns left and I succumbed to temptation by running up through a field full of cows as I cut off a good 800 - 900 metre of distance if I'd followed the original plan. At the top of the field, I was no longer sure that I'd saved any time as it was impossible to run due to the steep slope and the tiredness in my legs and thighs was now intense. I put these thoughts behind me and trudged jogging up the final section of road to Ajon.

I looked at the watch as I arrived at the hamlet : 47:00. Some wild ideas had been thrown around at the holiday centre by the guides that it was possible to get to the top in 45 minutes. May well be, but not in my shoes anyway. I focused now on pushing as hard as I could to climb the last 180 metres in height to the summit. Too steep to run, I concentrated on pushing down on my legs with my hands and forcing them up the slope. Another quick check behind and Bertrand was still nowhere to be seen. I wondered if he'd taken the same route or given up somewhere en route. I saw a small car winding its way up the road below and knew that this was Laurence arriving to pick us up and take us back down to the centre. I crossed the last fence and arrived at the 14 stations of the cross which lead the path up to the summit and the statue of the Virgin Mary. I had my own cross to bear though as the garmin showed 57 minutes and I had a last effort to make. A quick jog and a last scramble up the final gulley and I was at the top in 58:12 exactly.

I sat on the summit, catching my breath and admiring the views in all directions. To the west, I could see Lake Geneva, Geneva and Lausanne and to the east, Mont Blanc was rising, snow-capped above the clouds. The Aravis summits including La Pointe Percée were all visible and closer to home Pointe de Chalune and Chavasse were also clear. It was a beautiful morning. I waved to a figure stood next to the car on the road below, figuring that it was Laurence and watched Bertrand finally appear along the road and slowly jog up first to Ajon and then up the final slope to the top too. He made it in 1:14:59 some fifteen minutes behind me and his first words were: 'James - you're a war machine!'. Made my day !!

Just under 7 km to the top using this route and just under an hour to manage this distance and almost 800 metres of ascent. I was elated to have finished in under the hour and using the 100m=1km converter equated this run to a 15km flat course. The time appeared correct in this respect. A new record for the course and should now be written down for posterity in the holiday centre's annals to be beaten in the future.

2 comments:

Lorenza said...

As much as I like "Pointe de Miribel" and although I admire your swiftness up and down the slopes - even when you passed me on the last stretch up the second time you ran it (having of course started a good 20 minutes after me :)- you have to admit it is getting slightly tedious to see this post day after day. I SOOOO look forward to reading more...... Maybe later today.......? :)

James said...

Your wish is my command dear...!