17 July 2011

Relaxing

I've been very negligent on the blog writing front this last couple of weeks and it is time to make amends. Plenty of excuses spring to mind revolving around work commitments, lack of time, lack of sleep etc. but since you wouldn't believe any of them (quite rightly) then I'm just going to get on and let you know what's been happening.

Since I wrote my last entry, I've been running the usual early morning sessions and also making it to the club once a week. The summer has arrived but the temperatures are globally cooler than those we had in April and May.This makes the early morning runs extremely pleasant and if I didn't have to go to work straight afterwards in a real rush then they would be very enjoyable. At the moment, I'm averaging around 4:20 pace on these 10 - 12 km runs and then combining this with the club sessions.

I had one of the best ever club sessions 2 weeks ago when we headed down towards Achères at 'Le Mouchoir'. This is a 2.5 km circuit in the forest with a little bit of everything: narrow twisty paths, some gentle downhill, some uphill sections and tree roots thrown in all over to make the going tricky. Miguel had organised a pyramid session of 4',8',12',8' then 4' to finish at 10km pace.I was fairly tired after Guerlédan and Achères races and so I thought I'd just take it easy. Jennifer was there and wanted some coaching in preparation for her 10km european track event and Miguel wanted Thierry and himself to push her around. Since Miguel is lacking a little endurance at the moment he fell off the back on the 12' interval and I carried on managing to stay ahead of Jennifer on this interval before trailing her on the next two. Still pleased as punch to have been able to keep up with Thierry and Jennifer which was more than could be said of Miguel and Gérald ... I also did this session having run over to the club from home and so managed to run 25 km overall.

Some more mid-week runs before last Sunday when I convinced Nico to get out of bed early (8:30am being considered as the crack of sparrows by Nico on a Sunday) and a 6 x 3' interval session off 90 seconds recovery. I pushed this one fairly hard too but I'm still lacking sufficient pace to be able to play at the front with the big boys (Nico, Thierry, etc.). Good work-out on a quiet Sunday run during the holidays though.

The last memorable run was last Tuesday for the club but unfortunately for all of the wrong reasons. I'd pulled an old pair of running shorts, cyclist style, from my drawer to wear and arrived in time to pull on my kit and to go outside to talk to the others before setting off. A long moment of embarassment when Laurence pointed out that my right testicle was hanging out of the hole in my shorts that I'd never bothered to mend. I wondered how many others had seen this and politely chosen not to comment. Needless to say that these shorts have now been binned.

The aim now is to enjoy the holidays in the Alps and get some altitude training in. Relaxing during the holidays will improve my motivation and the proper sleep will enable me to eliminate my sleep debt and finally get fit and refreshed.

No comments: