4 August 2009

Marathon pace

We woke up this morning to see that the clouds that had covered the mountains yesterday, and that had spoiled our day's walk up the Tête de Colonney, had totally disappeared, leaving a clear, cristalline blue sky and views of all the mountains in the area. Mont Blanc and la Pointe Percée looked particularly clear and most tempting. The temperature was still cool at around 14°C so it was ideal weather to go for a morning run and to burn off the excess calories from 3 helpings of raclette last night.

I wondered about running back up to Col de Jambaz (pronounced "Jambes" by the way) again today, but a few strides into the run and I could tell that my legs were fatigued so I didn't want to push it. I ran up past Amoulin and then over the old bridge towards Megevette on the other side of the valley from the main road. This path takes you up a really steep little climb and so I was happy to run up this at 4:47 pace. I reached the top, panting heavily and then enjoyed the road as it flattened out towards Megevette, turning off right along the same back road that I ran along on Sunday.

I followed this road to the end but instead of turning right to run up Col de Jambaz, I crossed over the main road at Chauméty and along the road parallel to the main road in the direction of the col. This road is fairly flat and I ran until it turned into a dirt track and began to peter out. It was just over 8 km here and that was far enough, I thought so I turned round and starting running back. The breeze was behind me now and I increased my pace instantly running back towards Onnion in the following times: 4:16, 3:58, 3:56, 4:11 (as I slowed down to run around the roadworks!), 3:56, 3:51, 3:44. Great going and a lovely feeling to lengthen the stride and just push the pace.

15.6 km all up in 1:06:43 or an average of 4:16 per km, so marathon pace over the distance which is pretty good going for a training run at altitude. Pleased with my performances recently and looking forward to the next big test with a 10k race next month.
Pointe Percée in the foreground with Mont Blanc behind.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's almost a 10km in training Jamie...