14 August 2009

Back to work

First day back to work today after some lovely holidays. In order not to lose the benefit of all my running training that I've been doing over the last few weeks, and to ease myself back into office life, I took my running kit and went out for a lunchtime run in the Grouchy castle grounds.

The weather was lovely again today, with a clear blue sky and a temperature of about 27°C in the shade. I got changed at the swimming pool and headed out down the hill to the castle grounds at a comfortable pace. The intention was just to take it easy and enjoy the run and soak up some sunshine in the process.

My Garmin rang after the first kilometre showing 4:19. I was pleased since despite my impression that I was coasting, my pace was still relatively fast for a training run. Bang! The easy run just flew out of the window and I was now "scotched to the watch" (sorry French term - scotch being sellotape over here) for the remainder of the run. The kilometres went by at the same pace 4:09, 4:16 even a 4:20 up the steep hill until I got to the sixth kilometre. My abundant energy, from a couple of easier runs of late, left me and I started struggling for breath and cursing the heat.

I managed to keep the strides regular and continue making good progress nevertheless to finsih the 10.3 km in 44:59. This equates to an average pace of 4:20 which I'm still pleased with, especially since it includes 3 times up a steep hill and then a monster hill to finish.

10 lengths of the pool to finish (and no butterfly !)
Osny pool with the roof retracted.

No comments: