19 August 2009

Hot... damned hot!

Probably the hottest day of the year here today. The radio warned this morning that 7 departments in France were going to face record temperatures of up to 40°C, and although the Paris basin wasn't facing temperatures of this magnitude it was still a scorcher today.


I decided to go for a run despite the weather and the temptation just to take it easy at the pool at lunchtime. I made a serious concession to myself, nevertheless, in promising that I would take it easy. The car thermometer indicated 34°C when I arrived at the pool and as I stepped out, it felt like an oven outside. I got changed and set off very easily, making sure that I didn't overheat as I ran down the hill.

I ran into Grouchy castle grounds and enjoyed running in the shade of the trees around my usual circuit. The rare open patches were horrendous with the temperature rising a good 5°C in the sun, and my cap did precious little to protect me. I was not pushing the pace at all, so it was with great surprise that I saw the Garmin showing 4:30 per km along the flat. The short hills were another matter and I eased the pace by a good 20 seconds per kilometre when climbing.

10.3 km all up in 47:57 so 3 minutes slower than my last run at the beginning of last week over the same course. I felt happy with the run, just to be able to get out was already an achievement. I kept telling myself how this heat training was good for handling the end of a marathon. Hopefully, I won't need this at La Rochelle.

No comments: