13 January 2009

Birthday treat

As a special present for me today, the railway staff on line A of the RER and all the railworkers using the Saint Lazaire station decided to go on strike.

The chaos that this caused today was devastating. It took me 2 hours 10 minutes to drive the 16 km between the house and my meeting with a dealer candidate this morning, causing me to arrive almost an hour late.

I left work with plenty of time to get to the club session tonight and arrived half an hour after the session had started due to the gridlock on the roads. The roads around St Germain were jammed solid with cars and I've never seen so many pedestrians on the roads before. It looked like a scene from a horror movie. Zombies had invaded St Germain and were walking the streets, polka-faced, staring into the distance, totally distressed by the situation most probably.

As a result of my arriving late, I missed the warm-up and headed straight to the track, wearing my lovely new thermal running tights and top (thank you so much Laurence - but don't think that it'll get you out of massage duty next time the frostbite occurs though). Tonight's session was 5x200 with 100m recovery followed by 1000 then 1200m off 200m recovery.

I managed to stay with Miguel for the 200m sprints but when he set off for the 1000m at the same pace, I just dropped back and did as best as I could. The 1200m was the same story but I'm lacking the oomph at the moment to stay the course. Fairly sure that this is down to the cold that I still haven't shaken off. Sunday will be the moment of truth.

Gridlocked even to get back home from the track. Who sells all of these cars anyway ? Don't they realise that they're destroying the planet ?

1 comment:

alec said...

Now that was actually funny!

Got your birthday message for Gill on our answerphone and we will treasure it. It has now been saved on digital tape for posterity. A drunken 40 year old on his last hurrah and singing no less. Jack and Sophie ran around the house shouting "Uncle Jamie's drunken, Uncle Jamie's drunken." We're not sure what you had 'drunken', but we all hope it was good and that you had a great birthday.

It's straight to the front of the veterans pack for you now.

Take care

Love

GAJS

P.S. If it's only 16km to work why don't you ride a bike?