14 March 2012

Evening run

Perhaps it was because Nico was feeling so guilty about having sent me in the wrong direction yesterday for the club run that he called and asked if I was interested in running with him this evening. I imagined a gentle jog around Maisons Laffitte and so I accepted with pleasure. It's always better to run with somebody than by yourself.

When I met Nico for the run, he had something else in mind though. The quiet run I had in mind flew out of the window when he announced that he wanted to run 3 x 1000m. I'd had a hard day at the office and was physically beat, so the idea of running even 3 short intervals was not very appealing. I was happy to have the company though so I shut up and figured I would see how it would go.

We ran my usual route through Maisons Laffitte as it was dark. My unlit spot down the track to the Seine covered in potholes was not enough to trip Nico up and twist his ankle. Damn it! I still needed to find something to put him off his intervals.

We ran to the 5km marker as a warm-up and then began. As soon as we started, Iknew that I hadn't been making it up. Neither my head nor my legs were interested and it was all I could do to keep Nico in sight. 3:33. The second interval was worse when Nico left at breakneck speed and I lifted the pace before the end as I couldn't take any more. 3:32 (and 3:17 for Nico) and then the third... I jogged while he ran.

I caught him at the end of the park and we ran back together. 12.8 km all up in 54:36 or an average of 4:17 / km. Good job it was just a recovery run.

No comments: