6 March 2012

3-2-1

I stayed in bed Monday morning. I just couldn't face it. I'd set the alarm but when it rang a little voice in my head said: 'you're too tired' just stay here. So I listened for once and went back to sleep. So when the alarm rang this morning, I felt compelled to get up and go for a run. The marathon training plan stated 8 x 800m but since this sounded like far too much hard work, I settled on a 3-2-1 with the usual objectives (11:30, 7:30, 3:30).

It is getting lighter outside at long last and spring is only just around the corner. I'd put a gore over-jacket on and I regretted this as soon as I started the workout. The first kilometres seemed to be going alright but I was unable to see the garmin properly and find out at what speed I was running. It felt fairly fast, if not totally uncomfortable.

A 3 minute recovery after the first interval and I set off again for the 2 kilometre stretch. This felt better now as I'd built up my heart rate and I was running more smoothly over this section. A 2 minute recovery now and I set off down the back straight in the park of Maisons Laffitte for the final leg. I was able to see the garmin on this last kilometre and I was really pleased to see 3:27 for my final stint.

A quick analysis on the garmin at the end showed that I achieved 11:29, 7:32 and then 3:27 so I just missed the second interval but fairly pleased overall, especially with the short recovery times.

11.6 km all up in 50:37 or an average pace of 4:21

No comments: