1 June 2011

Tuesday club session

There was only a small crowd at the club on Tuesday night for the evening session. Many must have been resting up after the races over the weekend and with the Foulée Royale on Sunday, the club's 10km race around the terrasse, others are taking it easy in preparation. Fabrice, Nico and myself had arranged to run a track session and it was finally decided that we would be doing 10x300m at VO2 max pace. Miguel took the other runners off into the forest for an easy run.

We warmed up in the forest, chatting to the others before heading back to the track after 4.5 km to get the session over with. We'd managed to convince Romain to come along too while Jean-Marc, still nursing a calf injury, decided to skip our offer. No sign of Gérald, but since he'd run 3 10km races over the weekend this didn't surprise me. In fact, I was happy that he'd decided to get some rest and recuperation in before the long trail in 10 days time.

We jogged around the track, noticing the strong headwind on the back straight and decided to start into this wind to finish over the finish line with the wind behind us. It was to be 10x300m intervals off 100m recovery. I could see that nobody was really motivated to run this session as it's hard work but I was pleased with the group as it was most likely that Nico and Roamin would run together at the front with Fabrice and myself behind.

We set off and I tried to keep in touch with Nico and Romain but they gapped me from the start and finished 10 metres ahead. I ran this in 56 seconds and although I didn't feel too bad, I remembered last time how these intervals really hit you from the fourth onwards. It was the same this evening and I was just glad to hold off Fabrice every time on the home straight where he would close on me after my faster starts. Nico and Romain built up a little lead by reducing their recovery times and running the intervals faster while I gapped Fabrice who took longer recoveries while running his intervals at the same pace as me.

Intervals went as follows:

56, 56, 56, 57, 57, 57, 57, 57, 58, 57

A really steady session again and I was pleased as these were faster than a couple of weeks ago.

10.5 km all up in 1:00 and 21km for the day. Gérald showed up at the end having turned up late and considering that nobody would be foolish enough to hit the track, he'd run easily in the forest with the rest of the group.

No comments: