25 June 2011

Early Friday

I haven't been doing much mileage since Guerlédan and the temptation is to sit back and to take it easy at the moment. I've been telling myself that I don't need to be concentrating on speedwork as I'm racing almost every weekend and there are no really important events until after the summer now anyway. With this in mind, I set the alarm for first thing in the morning and chose to do the shorter 8km loop around town so that I could spend slightly longer in bed and still get to work on time.

I have been working hard lately and this has had an impact on the amount of sleep I've been getting. Lack of sleep causes me to run slower than I'm capable of and recently I've been averaging around 4:30 - 4:40 per km, basically because I can't be bothered to run any faster. It was going to be different today I told myself and I set off down the road at the fastest pace I could manage comfortably. Admittedly, this wasn't very fast at all as I was tired and the pain in my right thigh has still not disappeared. However, it was better than nothing and I saw the Garmin flash up 4:28 for the first kilometre so I was determined to try and maintain a speed higher than this now.

As in most of my recent runs, I don't remember much of the detail only that I was wearing my new trainers: New Balance 1063 which I like. I bought these after the disastrous Nike Lunarglide which didn't suit me at all. The New Balance are stable and dynamic and I feel as though I'm in contact with the terrain. The only problem is that the front of the shoe feels thin and I have had blisters from them when I've pushed the distance over 10km. This run went well and I sped up as I ran around and the pain in my thigh subsided. From the 4:28 in the first kilometre, I was running at 4:20 pace towards the end before a last acceleration and the final kilometre in 3:55 then 3:45 pace to finish.

8.25 km all up in 35:53 or an average of 4:21 per km. Felt good about this session.

No comments: