15 May 2012

3-2-1 stop!

I announced last night that I would be running a 3-2-1 session the next day. Once it was announced there was no going back. It was official. Others had heard it. I was committed.

I got up and ran down to the Seine where I began the first interval. My 3-2-1 session is probably one of my favourites. It involves running a 3km interval in 11'30" then 3' recovery followed by 2km in 7'30" off 2' recovery and then the last interval in 3'30".

I started and I knew that this would be hard today. My thighs were still aching from the ekiden and I resisted the temptation to give up from the start. How could I ? I'd announced that I ws going to do this to everybody (well Laurence and Dad at least). I ran the first km in 3:44 then 3:49 and finally in 3:46. So I'd achieved the first interval in 11'19 under the objective and I was ready to begin the second.

3' later and I set off. It was hard. Too hard and after a minute, I pulled the plug and began to jog again. I just didn't have the strength or the motivation to continue and push hard. It was just all too much and I resigned myself to a recovery now back through the park of Maisons Laffitte and back home. I was so tired that I even missed the turn off into the forest and carried along the roads. Not what I'd intended.

12.6km all up in 54:08 or 4:19 per km. Disappointed with myself but should get over this lethargic patch soon.

No comments: