28 November 2011

Florence Marathon - showdown

I am not doing well in the 2011 Nico v. James challenge. We have run 8 races so far this year and he's won 7 of them. I have excuses of course: we always have excuses when we fail to do well. But the truth is that I am not able to run as fast as he can over the shorter distances. We knew this when we pulled the challenge together. It was supposed to be a mix of events ranging from 5km to marathon. I wanted the longer distances as I knew I had a far better chance whenever we race over 15km. I also wanted to take into account the time difference in the various races rather than just taking a win over a loss. Whatever, he is now 6 races up and it looked as though he was entering the marathon with some solid training and a good chance on paper of beating me over this distance too.

As members of the St Germain running club we also have our supporters. As a veteran I tend to find a lot of support from the older members of the club but also veteran marathon runners (thanks Gérald), whereas Nico has plenty of support from Jean-Marc. So basically, Jean-Marc was betting on Nico while 90% of the club was behind me (average age in the club is close to 50 so this wasn't surprising). Nico had been doing plenty of swaggering prior to the race about how he would beat me hollow, pick me off the road at 35km, etc. but I could tell that his mouth was talking but his brain didn't believe a word he was saying. The race was on.

Laurence and I flew into Pisa Saturday morning and picked up a car to get over to Florence for lunch-time. The adventure started here. The Italians are great at many things: food, wine, opera, art but they are lousy at one thing - road signs. It took us an hour to get around Florence and to finally find the stadium to pick up our bibs for the race the following day. I'd had enough of driving by this point and just wanted to dump the car. After a quick tour of the marathon expo and utter disappointment at seeing my bib for the race with my number 223 and then 'James Highnam FRA' written beneath it, we drove into Florence centre and to the hotel. Lunch in the city centre calmed us down nicely and we were finally able to soak up the atmosphere of this amazing Italian city that must be one of the most beautiful in the world. The sun was shining and the temperature hovering around the 16°C mark and the light on the buildings and the river Arno was just incredible. A quick shop in the centre and we headed back to the hotel to meet the others.

We'd only just digested lunch when we attacked dinner with Sandra, Pascal, Katia and François and their families. Talk about carbohydrate loading: the pasta starter was enough for a regiment, let alone the chicken and roast potatoes that followed. Nico and his family had also arrived safely in town as I'd exchanged texts wth Nico earlier. Despite my initial worries that he'd had problems arriving, it turned out that his delay in answering the phone was due to the fact that he'd turned it off while enjoying a long siesta. He was obviously dead serious about the race and determined to be as ready as possible.

Laurence and I got up the following morning fully prepared for the race. This was not like Marseille. We'd learned our lesson and packed cream, safety pins, caps, the whole caboodle. A quick breakfast with François and Katia and we headed off through town to the start down by the river. We met Sandra and Pascal as arranged and bumped into Nico, Benj and Greg. The day was perfect: sunny, blue skies, no wind and about 3°C. As the sun rose above the skyline, it elt warm on your body and the cold temperature was not a problem. Nico was nervous and had slept badly, whereas I was eager to start and to get running, not having trained since Tuesday previously. The organisation was good and runners disclipined as they entered the different timing pens. 30 minutes wait in here and a couple of pee stops later and we were ready to go.

I had the Garmin on virtual partner mode with 4:05 entered as the pace to stick to. Nico was going to head out faster and I thought that I'd be picking him up at about 35km as he suffered over the final stages. That was the race plan - clear cut, simple, straight-forward. This was redemption time as with my marathon experience, there was no way that Nico could beat me over this one. Despite his training, I wasn't convinced that he would be able to hold on at the end when the going gets really tough. We would see if I was right.

So much for the plan. I set off and after a few hundred metres I was behind schedule. No problems it was a slow start and I missed the first kilometre as I concentrated on not running inot other runners and trying to find a pace I was comfortable with. I relaxed and stretched out into the second kilometre and when the Garmin showed 3:56 I wasn't surprised but since it felt that comfortable, I decided not to worry and to just go with it. I began looking ofr runners that I could tag along with now but at this stage in the race this can be risky. I spotted a Scandinavian (Swedish I thought but he turned out to be Norwegian) in a red top and I judged my pace by him. If I got too close, I would ease off but judging how relaxed I felt, I figured that I had the pace about right.

There was no sign of Nico now and I came to the conclusion that has behind me. I'd been running a few kilomtres under 4:00 each now and there was no sign of him in front. This was confirmed at 6.5km when we went around a hairpin before entering Le Cascine park. He waved and shouted out to me. I stuck a thumb up at him in return, happy to know he was behind and feeling great about my shape. This spurred me on and my next few kilometres all hovered around 4:00 with my slowest in 4:03 and my fastest in 3:54 depedning on whether it was a slight uphill or slight downhill. At 11km, I was caught by a small group of 4 Italians, 2 from the same club sharing the lead, with another talking to the spectators or his fellow runners. I tagged along on their shoulders and as we passed the feeding station, I ran to the front and shared the lead. I looked at the Garmin as the pace felt slightly uncomfortable: 3:55. In fact this was a series of kilometres where I was flirting with the danger zone but too happy to be with the group and to ease off the pace - 3:55, 3:55, 3:57, 3:57, 3:56, 3:53. It was this last kilometre that decided it, I had to let them go. We were at 19km now and I couldn't afford to overheat now. I relaxed and ran a 4:03 watching the group ease ahead and then I saw the clock as I ran through the half-way point: 1:24:13 - I was averaging under 4:00/km. I wondered now if I could keep this up until the end and beat 2:49. Still, I figured that going under 2:50 would also be fantastic.

My Norwegian runner came past me again at this point and he looked stronger than when I'd passed him around the 18 km mark. Apart from another runner who passed me at around 30km, I would not be overtaken by anybody from the 15km point onwards. I still felt good now and the first signs of tiredness set in after 28km. I began a countdown in my head now. Only 14km to go - that's not too far! They had a clock set up for the 30km mark and another thrill here as it showed 1:59:51 as I hit the timing mat. Still on for the 15km/h target. Only, there's no esacaping the general fatigue that settles in over the last 12km and I was no exception. My feeding had been well planned and I'd excecuted strictly: sugar tablet every 5, 15, 25, 35 km and then almond paste sweet at 10, 20, 30 km. Water every 5km and sponge every 7, 12, 17, 22, etc. There was always something to look forward too !

I slowed imperceptibly now and I couldn't fight. The Garmin was showing 4:03 more often now but that was soon stoppped when we headed back into the town center and the crowds around the cathedral. What a boost a bit of crowd support brings: the next 2 kilometres went by in 3:54 and 3:57 and thoughts about the target reappeared. It wasn't to be though and as we headed back out of town westards for the final loop before heading back in over Ponte Vecchio the little slopes and the sun got to me and I slipped back to 4:05 - 4:07/km. I wasn't bothered though as Nico wouldn't be coming back now. I'd thought about him at 30km when there was still a chance but at 35km I knew I just had to finish and win. The last 500m were amazing: I managed to finsih at 3:39 pace and clinch the sub 2:50 result. I was thrilled ecstatic. I saw Henry and Paul and put my forefinger in the air to show that I'd done it - I'd beaten Nico and my PB. This race was worth 10 in the chellenge and the first thing that Nico said when he crossed the line was that he was cancelling his entry to New York. He's suffered in the final stages, as predicted and the minute difference at the half-way point had extended to 5 minutes by the end - 2:55:02.

The others came in shortly afterwards: François ran a blinder in 3:06, Katia and Sandra finished together in 3:38, Laurence just afterwards in 3:45 having suffered an optical migraine at 30km with the tiredness and the sunlight. Pascal and Greg ran together in 3:27 and Benj was a little disapppointed with 3:11 having dropped 10 minutes due to cramps in the last 5km. However, everybody beat their record, if not their target and overall we were all pleased with such a good event. My honour is safe and sound now until next yearwhen we start the challenge again. Now where did I put that entry form to Millau 100km - Nico ?

3 comments:

Gérald said...

Your are a MAGIC MAN OF MARATHON .

Mc Millan 0- James 1 . 2h49' and not 2h51'

What said more ?

Lorenza beat you in this marathon ... 56'

Nicolas said...

Great race and great victory, nothing to say about it.
I wonder what is the next step for you? 2H45'? You would have to work your speed and to improve your 10k PB to get there. Not sure that Millau is the best way to manage it... But if you really insist, we can put it in the challenge for last year. You'll won a free point cause 100k is really not an interresting target for me.
Last word, 10 points for this race is not enough, why not 42pts?

James said...

Thanks guys - comments are too kind.

@Gérald - Lorenza will beat me when she stays within 1' / km over the distance. This has always been the target. She's improving and will get there in the end.

@Nico - I thought about 42 points but didn't want to depress you too much. Ok for Millau but I really need to sort out next year's calendar quickly now.