29 November 2011

Champion's return

A special effort to get out of work in time for the club session last night in order to go and soak up some praise from my fellow athletes after the resounding victory over Nico at the weekend. I almost got stuck in traffic but I arrived at the club just in time to be welcomed by a round of applause as Miguel was giving the pre-run chat. I made the most of it and put on my most modest face even though I was brimming with pride.

I was only up for a warm-up jog with the group accompanied by Fred, Gérald, Ilyes and Simon who all congratulated me on a great race. I got back to the track to be met by Régis and Dominique who joined in on the congratulations and wanted to hear how the race went. Of course, I told it how it was, with no embellishments, especially the part where Nico crossed the finish line distraught and full of anguish following his humiliating defeat, or something to that effect...

A few laps around the track and Gérald joined me at the end and we discussed tactics for the race at Conflans on Saturday. I'll see if I can keep up with him around the course and help him to the 90 points he needs now to clinch his 3rd place on the podium in the departmental challenge.

All in all, I must have run 9km without the Garmin at a very easy pace. Just what the doctor ordered.

2 comments:

dad said...

Brilliant effort - you have made your poor old Dad proud! Nice to know that you have set yourself a new target. The joy (or pain) of this sport is that there is always a new horizon.
Love Dad

James said...

Thanks for the comment Dad. Glad to know that you read my blog and that I didn't let you down.
Keep reading and leaving comments: you're already one up on my younger brother.