11 December 2010

Cora slush

The snow and ice had virtually disappeared and the temperature had risen to 5°C to almost autumnal conditions rather than the severe winter weather we've been experiencing lately. I decided to celebrate by putting on a pair of shorts and leaving the running tights in the drawer.

Nick still being injured and Nico racing in a cross-country tomorrow, I decided to set out on the Cora run by myself and to enjoy the peace and quiet of the forest first thing in the morning. I left the house with Laurence and then ran on, leaving her to go for her run with a friend. I set off very easily and then as soon as I got into the forest, I picked up the pace. The tracks were very soft with the remainder of the snow melting rapidly, leaving large pools of slush lying around. I couldn't avoid all of these and very soon my feet were soggy from my trainers having absorbed a jug of water in each shoe.

After that first kilometre, my pace had already increased to around 14km/h with each kilometre being covered in around 4:25. When I saw that I'd managed to complete the 4th km in 4:17, I pushed on still, trying to catch an old man on a bike and completing the 5th km in 4:03. I eased off from then on but still managed to run each kilometre in 4:20 or under. I definitely had the energy for the run despite the ground conditions.

Nothing remarkable to report on the way back. Not many people were around in the forest this morning and I only spotted a couple of runners. Made it back to the house in 1:07 which is probably one of the fastest times I've done over this course, especially since I took the long way back through Le Mesnil along Ave Pasteur.

15.2 km all up in 1:07 or ana average of 4:27 per km. Lovely morning and great run.

No comments: