14 March 2010

Wobbly week 10

Well the week started well enough but unfortunately it went downhill, almost pear-shaped from Tuesday onwards.

So to give you all the details, how did the week go exactly ?

Sunday 7th March - An easy Sunday run was planned for the club since most of the members were either running the Paris half-marathon or the Rueil half-marathon (and both races turned into a bit of a farce). I ran across to the clubhouse, catching up with Nick, back from his week skiing, along the way and had a chat together. We got to the clubhouse, only to find a very small turnout and no trainer. Instead of chickening out and doing the easy option of a jog around the route towards the railway track at Maisons Laffitte, we maintained the initial programme of some intervals 12', 10', 8', 6' off 3 minutes rest. I ran from the front for a change as Nico, José, Thierry, Bruno, Mireille etc. were all absent. I had Nick and Jean-Claude for company and I managed to run the intervals well without pushing it to the limit. We all ran back to the club and I ran an extra 4 km loop with Laurence before running back through the forst to home. 2h40 all up and 32km. A good long run and I needed a nap in the afternoon to recover.

Monday - skived as had to get to work early.

Tuesday - marathon schedule interval training planned for the day. 8 x 800m off 300m rest. The 800m were to be run in 3:10. I set out early and started the session after 1km warm-up. The first interval was run in 3:07 and I then improved on this for the following. Intervals went as follows: 3:07, 3:01, 3:05, 3:03, 3:02, 2:57, 3:06, 2:59. Good session despite the freezing cold. 12.6k in 56:09.

Wednesday - recovery run. Left ankle was playing up from the start. I had to stop a couple of times to stretch it and manipulate it to ease the pain. Every time I landed on my left foot it sent a jarring pain through my ankle causing me to reduce my stride and slow the pace. No fun at all and I was almost in tears with the pain and frustration. 10.4k in 48:14. Felt lousy.

Thursday - another recovery run to see if the ankle was better. It was less painful at the start but I could still feel it and had to shorten my stride to run. It was still bothering me and this showed in the time. 10.2k in 49:50. I had to stop running in the last 200m as the pain returned full blast. Decided that the time had come to change my trainers and to not run before Sunday's race.

Saturday - a massage session at Chambourcy. Fully appreciated a gentle rub down of the legs and some manipulation on the ankles. He plugged the Compex on to my thighs for the end part of the session sending the muscles into spasms in different rhythms and speeds. Quite interesting. I think I would have preferred a harder rub down, but great anyway. No shoes from the Marathonien at Sartrouville in the morning: Mizuno Wave Ultima. Felt good to run around the block in. Will see how they work out over the next few training sessions.

66k for the week so a little less mileage this week to taper for Sunday's race.

No comments: