13 December 2009

Routine

Back into the early morning routine: 6:00 am start - 10k run; shower; quick breakfast; then into the car to work.

It's good to be back in training and not to feel the pressure of a marathon approaching. I can concentrate on shorter races and not feel that I'm going to compromise my performance in my quest to achieve an objective. This training session on Thursday was great for that.

I set off slowly because I wanted to - no pressure. I sped up because I felt good. As simple as that. It was a quiet morning. With winter finally arriving, everything seems calmer around town. There are less people around early in the morning, less traffic. This didn't stop one of the few cars around to almost mow me down at the Maisons Laffitte roundabout though. I think that the driver was in a half-awake daydreaming state and he just didn't see me coming. I noticed him and was prepared to pull back but he braked heavily at the last moment and came to a stop on the zebra crossing. I didn't acknowledge him or give him one of the usual smiles I reserve for kind motorists. That'll teach him.

Apart from this incident the rest of the run was standard. I searched for Andy again coming out of the park but no sign. I thought that he was slacking. I mean there's a race on Sunday and he's not training - seriously !!

11.1 km all up in 47:24 so marathon pace over the distance. Not bad going and I was in a sweat when I arrived, despite the 2°C outside. Felt good to be back.

No comments: