16 December 2009

Cold

The temperature has dropped and winter has finally arrived and properly.

I woke up at 6:00 am with the alarm and pulled on my running kit. I'd prepared the ear warmers in the form of the headband, and 2 tops to be able to take the colder weather outside. I got dressed quickly and went outside as fast as possible before I changed my mind about the whole proceedings. It had been cold at the weekend at Issy and I presumed it would be the same this morning. I was wrong. It was far worse.

I didn't realise it to begin with. I felt the cold air instantly, obviously, with my first steps outside. I started running immediately and a few seconds later the extent of the cold began to take effect. My breath hurt as the cold air entered my lungs with every inhalation. I ran faster so that my body would get warmer through the exertion. This didn't appear to work so I picked up the pace again. What was initially supposed to be an easy early morning run was quickly turning into a speed session. The cold made itself felt on my hands as the fingers grew first of all numb and then painful as the cold bit harder and harder. I regretted not having put on gloves and carried on in the hope that the blood would begin to circulate and warm through eventually.

It was a lovely clear night and there was no wind. Everything seemed quieter than usual, as if the cold had kept everybody indoors, under the cover of the bedclothes. I thought of Laurence still in bed and wondered why I'd bothered leaving the warmth of the bed to go running anyway. I kept the pace up and felt good. My legs felt strong and I was running well. The time seemed to go quickly, probably due to the fact that I was still half-asleep, and I only woke up when the cold crept through my running tights freezing my testicles and my buttocks.

I was over half way by now and I was looking forward to getting back to the warmth of the house for breakfast. I left Maisons Laffitte and the park to run infornt of the church at Le Mesnil and then down to the town-hall. A quick sprint back along the main road and I was back home in 47:07 for 11.1 km or an average of 4:16 (marathon pace) per kilometre.

Back inside the house and Laaurence had only just got up. She admitted that she wondered why I didn't move when the alarm went, not realising that I'd already got up and left the house for my run. Some people have all the luck ! By the way, the thermometer showed that it was -6°C outside. Definitely cold.

No comments: