26 April 2009

Sunday club run

Despite the dire weather forecasts we've been listening to over the last few days, the rain continued to hold off and the Sunday run was all the more enjoyable for that.

I went to the club this morning in order to run with some company although the turnout for today, with 2 main races taking place, wasn't as high as I'd expected. Still Mireille was there so we were able to chat about the marathon. She didn't realise at all that I was there at 35 km onwards as she was also in her "bubble" by then. She was thrilled with her time and to go under the 3 hour barrier and this will entitle her to an "elite" bib in next year's race. She was ecstatic about being able to start with the Kenyans, although perfectly realistic in that she won't be with them for long !

16 km was planned for today and no specific exercises over the course, just an easy jogging pace. We certainly set off easily enough with the crowd of about 25 runners jogging at 6:15 to 6:30 pace. I chatted to Franck who also ran at Paris and finished in 3:46, just 1 minute ahead of me. He told me how he was disappointed not to have spotted me so that we could finish together. This morning, after 30 minutes we stoped and met up with Thierry and the group split up into 2: one, with the slightly faster crowd, eager to cover slightly more distance at a faster pace; and the others intent on carrying out the initial plan.

The pace picked up from then on and we ran the remainder between 4:50 to 5:15. A nice steady pace to relax after my last 2 day's runs. I could feel the tiredness in my legs and the pulling in my left thigh. This was a nice reminder of the mileage I've put in recently and it didn't stop me chatting with the others as we ran along.

Talk was generally about marathons and the ideal race for the Autumn. The consensus was for La Rochelle as it's cooler and a flat course that is very well organised. Looks like our minds have been made up as Laurence arrived at the same conclusion.

18 km all up in 1:37 or an average of 5:28 per km. Very easy and steady. Just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: