15 April 2009

Altitude Training

Skiing in Serre Chevalier this week with the family and Nick, Anne and their kids. I didn't intend to go running often but I took my running kit just in case and an excess of alcohol and food pushed me into it today.

The weather was overcast this afternoon and the wind had picked up considerably. We cut the skiing short for the day and headed back to the centre. I was ready for a run and invited Nick to come. He copped out, claiming that he'd already had his shower so off I set towards Briançon.

We're based in Saint Chaffrey near Chantemerle and the altitude is 1350m. I set off intending to run a 10km course towards Briançon and preferably as flat as possible. I started off slowly and could feel my recurring knee injury return. There is a clicking in the ligaments behind the right knee which doesn't cause any pain but is most disagreeable. This disappeared after around 3 km and I was able to get into a comfortable rhythm.

I managed to get around to the top of Briançon and the road out to Montgenèvre in Italy before I turned back. 23:24 to run the 10.2 km out and then back up the hill towards St Chaffrey in slightly faster to finish the 10.5km in 45:41. I was averaging 4:25 per km going out and 4:17 coming back. Not bad for some altitude training. Felt tired by the end. Will try and convince Nick to come out for a run on Friday over the same course.

Laurence in the meanwhile was having a relaxing massage and sauna treatment. It's alright for some !!

No comments: