30 August 2008

Long run

With the intention of running another marathon at the end of October, I decided that I had better "up the ante" and get a few more kilometres under my belt before I take part.

I set off, intending to run 2 loops of the Sunday run, but at the end of the first loop I bumped into Nick running up the hill towards St Germain. We stopped and had a quick chat and stupidly, I didn't even think to ask to join him to the terrasse rather than carrying on my run. I did the first loop in 50:25 for 11.4 km and then carried on for the second. I toyed with the idea of extending the run to go through St Germain and down to the river and back along the Seine, but abandoned this because: firstly, I didn't have enough time; and secondly, wasn't too sure of my level of fitness to push past 30km without water or food.

I felt fairly comfortable the whole way around and stopped the lap timer on the Garmin as I went through the half-marathon distance: just under 1:33:00. Pushed on down the hill to home to do 23 km in 1:40:10 - most pleased.


This shows that my general endurance is pretty good and that I'm able to keep up a 4:20 pace over a half-marathon distance in training. Bodes well for end October.


A few more photos of last weekend's raid that I found on the web for your viewing pleasure:



Last photo doesn't show our team but the hardest part of the course for the canoeing. Thanks to "normandie course à pied" for the photos: http://www.normandiecourseapied.com/externe/raid_pays_d_auge_2008/index.html.

1 comment:

Nick Wiechers said...

A couple of photos of me looking tired. You looked like you were going far too fast for me this morning. I was probably averaging about 12km/h for the first 45 minutes after which I got me "second wind" and ran at a much better pace. I'm not that fussed about speed at this stage of the season but am hoping to put in some good times for 10km and half marathon before and after the new year.