28 April 2012

Still injured

I had planned with Nico to go for a jog with him to get out and enjoy the fresh air. The doctor had diagnosed a calf strain, usually caused by inadequate stretching before exercise, tiredness, and old age. Well I recognised all 3 of these factors so it's amazing that I've been so injury free for so long.

I hadn't exercised since Tuesday evening when the damage was done and the limping and pain in the calf had now worn off. It probably wasn't the best of ideas but it surely couldn't do that much harm, could it?

I felt fine for the first couple of kilometres, running at a very easy 12 km/h. Nico and I chatted easily but then when we were passing in front of the sports facilities by the Seine, I could feel the muscle pulling and tightening.

It was time to call it a day. The 2 weeks rest imposed is not to be taken lightly and 3 days was not sufficient time to let anything mend. Despite feeling better initially, I would have to be patient.

8 km all up in 42 minutes. No running now for a couple of weeks while I let this mend properly. I'll just have to find some other form of exercise.

No comments: