7 January 2013

Recovery run

After the effort of the 2 hard training sessions at the weekend, I thought that it was time to get back into the routine and return to my old haunts around Maisons Laffitte for a recovery run this morning. It was dry but still dark when I left but the passages down to the Seine weren't too waterlogged following the rain we have had here lately.

I saw that the Garmin was showing a 4:46 split for the first kilometre and I initially thought that I should speed up a little but, after a moment's reflexion, decided that it was a recovery run after all and I was perfectly happy at this pace. It was only as I ran alongside the racecourse that I sped up slightly and reached 4'30 pace where I remained for the rest of the run.

I ran alongside the railway line and into the forest on the way home avoiding the early morning streets and the constant stream of mothers dropping off their kids at school on their way to work. It's amazing how, whether it's due to time pressure or not, these ladies think nothing of stopping their vehicles in the middle of the street, blocking the traffic behind them, to allow their kids out of the car and into the schoolyards. No wonder child obesity is on the rise. We had to run to school when we were their age. Apparently the streets are more dangerous nowadays, or at least this is the argument put forward most of the time. However, when I see the accidents caused by cars blocking the traffic around the schools, I understand why the streets are so dangerous... Catch 22!

13.4km in 1:01.

No comments: