15 November 2012

Club session - Threshold

Another good turnout at the club tonight. I don't really know if this was for some quality training as promised by the training schedule sent out by Miguel, or rather for the Beaujolias Nouveau which was organised for after the training session. All the usual alcoholics runners were there: Jean-Marc, Momo, Ilyes, Stéphane, José, Bruno, François, Pascal, Nico and all of the girls too.

I ran around the warm-up with François talking about our next race in Normandy, an 80km trail on the Saturday. I'm fairly relaxed about this one and the idea is just to finish and to collect 2 points for the Mont Blanc trails next summer. If I manage this, then I'll have all 7 points necessary to qualify for the UTMB, the 170km tour of Mont Blanc with around 10 000m of uphill.

We finsih the warm-up and I agree with Mireille, Wilfried and José on the pace for tonight's session of 2000, 1000, 2000, 1000, 1500 off 200m recovery. We'll run the 2k's at 3:45 pace and the 1k at 3:30 pace. To finish we'll run at 3:40 - 3:45 pace. We're all agreed so we set off. I'm very comfortable for the first rep just on the shoulder of Wilfried with José, Mireille and Jérôme just behind. We end this rep and I ensure that the recoveries are kept honest and we push on for the 1k now. This is the same story except that it's José who leads this one and I stick to his shoulder as we go around. I can feel the increase in the pace and it's just a little harder on the legs and breathing but I definitely do not feel unduly tired when this rep ends either.

I check the time with José on this one: 3:28 he assures me. Alright we're pretty much in line with what we were forecasting so we carry on. The session ends the same way with me following whoever takes the lead and then ensuring that there is no slacking off the pace once it's set.

The reps went as follows:

7:22, 3:27, 7:11, 3:24, 5:15

So much faster than we initially envisaged but I felt good all of the time and really satisfied by a good workout by the end. Nico joined us for a warm-down having done some plodding on his own (4 x 2000) prior to Florence. Good to see Laurence back on the track too with some intervals despite the fact that she's vary wary about pushing it at the moment to avoid further injury.

14.9k all up. And the Beaujolais went down very nicely too. In fact, so nicely and such a good turnout that they ran out!

No comments: