29 December 2011

Debauve et Gallais

I've pinched an idea from my brother here for my message header. This started because he put up a title the other day 'Billecart Salmon'. I frankly had never heard of this brand and it was only after a google search that I discovered that it's a prestigious champagne manufacturer who's been around since 1818. Presumably, he put this up since he'd just drunk a bottle of the precious liquid. It's a shame he didn't tell us more about the champagne instead of boring us all with how he's still recovering from injury, getting over a hangover, worried by his weight, etc., etc.

My title is relative to the ornate box of chocolates that we received yesterday. Absolutely delicious and unfortunately an extreme temptation. Laurence is stong enough mentally to be able to resist this, but Paul and I helped ourselves several times before we had to hide the box for the night. My early morning resolve to go running was mostly due to the guilt that I felt after these chocolates and their possible impact on my waistline. I've managed to be fairly reasonable up until now over Christmas but this was the last straw. I weighed myself after the run and saw the indisputable verdict: 75.5 kg - 2kg heavier than just before Christmas but not too bad all things considered. Perhaps I can have a few more chocolates tonight.

It was a straightforward run. There were no objectives as I'm hoping to get to the club session tonight to do some intervals. I started slowly, almost breaking my legs as I headed down to the Seine in the dark. The track I descend has some speed bumps (not necessary in the slightest as there are that many potholes that speeding is impossible) and I have to keep my legs supple as my feet land slightly higher than I expect from the terrain catching me unawares. This morning was disastrous as I was unbalanced by the first bump and then put my foot in a pothole, lurching me sideways. It was a relief to get out of there undamaged without sprawling lengthways.

I ran the first couple of kilometres at 4:40 pace before speeding up slightly over the rest of the course and running between 4:10 and 4:30 pace. The traffic was very light and I crossed nobody outside during my run. It was only when I got to the park in Maisons Laffitte that I began to feel easier and relax.

55:30 all up for 12.8km so an average pace of 4:20 for the circuit. See how it goes tonight at the club now. At least by doubling up I'll be able to attack the chocolate box (almost) guilt-free.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We're having a party this afternoon and, having got bored with my usual titles, I've been using all the different drinks I've bought for the event. I'll let you know how the Billecart Salmon compares to the Moet and Bollinger...

James said...

Read up on this champagne and most rate it higher than the Bollinger so it'll be interesting to hear about the tasting. The Moët is all marketing and liekly to disappoint. We discovered that last time we did the blind tasting in Sydney.